DCYF updates rules on Narcan storage/usage for caregivers

DCYF updates rules on Narcan storage/usage for caregivers

Dear DCYF Caregivers,

In order to reduce deaths due to opioid-related overdose, DCYF caregivers may administer Naloxone (common brand name Narcan) if an individual appears to be experiencing an overdose.

WAC 110-148-1565 allows caregivers to store Naloxone, where it is easily accessible in case of an emergency. Youth are allowed to carry Naloxone on their persons. It is preferred that DCYF Caregivers receive training before administering Naloxone; however, training is not required in an emergency.

Steps for administering and documenting the use of Naloxone:

  1. Call 911 immediately
  2. If available, locate the nearest Naloxone
  3. Administer Naloxone per training and manufacturer’s instructions
  4. Remain with the child/youth until emergency personnel arrive
  5. Call your caseworker as soon as you can do so
  6. Record usage of Naloxone on the Medication Administration form

Training Instructions and Link: (Training Length – 6 minutes)

Video – How to administer Naloxone: Opioid Overdose – Administering Naloxone video

Note: the training video shows both nasal spray and injectable forms of Naloxone; however, the vast majority of Naloxone is given in the nasal spray form, with the injectable type usually being reserved for emergency personnel.

How to Access Naloxone

In an attempt to make opioid overdose reversal medication available to as many individuals as possible, the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) has a standing state order for the purchase and use of opioid overdose reversal medications. This means an individual can go directly to the pharmacy and use their private insurance, Medicaid coverage, or cash to purchase Naloxone.

Children and youth can obtain Naloxone in the following ways:

  • Purchase Naloxone directly at a local pharmacy with their Medicaid card.
  • Be provided Naloxone as they exit a hospital, inpatient, or other treatment setting.
  • Obtain a prescription for Naloxone from a medical provider.
    • A child/youth may need a doctor’s authorization to carry Naloxone or have it readily available in certain settings such as a school or group home.

Caseworkers should work with caregivers to support and assist children and youth in obtaining Naloxone if they so desire.

If you need information about accessing Naloxone for a child or youth, contact:

Coordinated Care of WA (CCW): AHCCTeam@coordinatedcarehealth.com or 1-844-354-9876

If you have any questions, contact:

James Vallembois; Substance Use Disorder Program Manager; [email protected]

Trishia Benshoof, Foster Care Health Program Manager; [email protected]

Conference Sponsors

Previous slide
Next slide
24/7 support hotline
Foster Families
Family Time Network
Visitation Services

All Family Time related inquiries

Upcoming Events

june, 2024

Small Donations, Bigger Impact

Support Families Helping Families

become a Friend of FPAWS