As the Washington State Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) announced last month, the caregiver recruitment and retention contract expired on June 30, 2020.
Unfortunately, due to budget implications caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the caregiver recruitment and retention program is significantly impacted. We are doing our best to support caregivers during these challenging circumstances.
At this time, we do not have additional information about timeframes for the new program. We will keep you updated as information becomes available.
If you have any questions, please the DCYF Caregiver Recruitment and Retention team at [email protected].
While the liaison and support programs are suspended, here are some alternate resources for foster parents
FPAWS 24/7 phone line continues to be available: 1-800-391-CARE (2273)
training hours, parent coaching:
- The Alliance for Excellence in Child Welfare provides 1-ON-1 CAREGIVER COACHING CALLS, for emergent needs or ongoing improvement. Reach out to Penny Michel at [email protected]
- Also at the Alliance, there are hours of on-demand online training, and frequently scheduled live classes. See what’s available on their website by searching the course catalog.
1624 reps, private agencies and others have created or revitalized facebook groups since the Fostering Together/Fostering WA groups disappeared. To find your DCYF Region check this map.
- Coffee with 1624 (Region 6)
- Compelled to Care – A private group supported out of a church in Olympia
There are regular online or phone meetups organized by many groups.
- 2nd Tuesday night of each month – FPAWS, a “committee” meeting to talk to other foster parents and offer collaborative advice and problem solving.
- Tuesdays and Saturdays – various groups, hosted by Compelled to Care
- Fridays – coffee with 1624 reps, hosted by your respective 1624 regional facebook group
- ad hoc – Facebook rooms can be created by any group members, so if you need a Sunday afternoon chat, suggest it to your favorite facebook group and get it rolling!